Learn to Mountain Bike!
Kids of Mud is a Manitoba Cycling Association sanctioned Learn to Ride and Learn to Race program for kids 6* to 16 years of age.
Several cycling clubs in Winnipeg and throughout Manitoba operate Kids of Mud as part of their club's annual activities and for many, including the Alter Ego Cycling Club, it is the most important program in their cycling year!
Riders will learn the basics of off-road cycling with an opportunity to challenge their fitness in a fun race series with other Kids of Mud club members. All riders are registered in one of these internationally recognized youth cycling categories:
- Under 17
- Under 15
- Under 13
- Under 11
- Under 9
- Under 7* (5 & 6 year olds)
*Under 7 is not truly a recognized category but there are a few little tykes participating. These little riders should be proficient at braking (ideally hand brakes, not coaster brakes). Parents may be asked to participate in each session.
Note: above categories refer to the rider's age as of December 31 in the current year.
Registration opens in the first week of February and is limited. Spaces fill up alomst immediately. We have additional programming for the 2018 season to address some of our waitlist issues. Programs will now run Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday.
Contact our Program Coordinator for more information.
Why Kids of Mud?
- Off road cycling is an ideal outdoor physical activity that combines the best of individual and team sport values offering both physical and mental challenges in a fun and supportive atmosphere.
- Our coaches are all avid cyclists with a wide range of experience and abilities.
- Our program starts at the end of April with training sessions each Tuesday and Thursday until the end of June.
- Kids will be grouped with their peers (by age category and/or ability level) and led by club coaches and volunteers.
- Our club takes part in the Manitoba Cup (MTB) Series and all kids can participate if they wish. Participation in this race series is optional.
- Focus is on fun, fitness and skill development.
- Parents are encouraged to participate! However, please note that parent's intending to ride with the kids must purchase an Adult Program membership, including a Manitoba Cycling Association General Membership. Visit mbcycling.ca for more information.
Everyone, including parents, must wear a helmet at all times while riding. No exceptions.
Love to Ride? Become a KOM Coach!
All of the Alter Ego Club coaches are involved in the Kids of Mud program because we love to ride and want to teach your kids the skills they need to enjoy riding off-road as much as we do. Coaching is a great way to participate with your kid and show them that riding is a lifelong activity.
The minimum requirement for becoming an Alter Ego coach is successful completion of a National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) Community Coach workshop. As well, each coach must have current Standard or Emergency First Aid certification and must clear a Child Abuse Registry check each year and a Criminal Record check every 3 years.
The Alter Ego Club strongly believes in the value of skilled coaches and is committed to coach development within our club. Our certified coaches are VIP members and all certification requirements are at the expense of our club.
If you are interested in joining the Alter Ego Kids of Mud coaching staff please